WHAT IS BABY DEDICATION?
When parents dedicate their child, they are showing a desire to commit their son or daughter to the Lord and His service. They are also promising to do everything in their power to help their child grow to understand Christ’s love and experience a life-giving relationship with Him.
“These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” (Deuteronomy 6:6-7)
This vow of dedication should be taken with great sincerity and commitment.
“When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it.” (Ecclesiastes 5:4-5)
HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM BAPTISM?
Baby dedication is not a baptism of faith nor does it guarantee your child’s salvation. Salvation occurs only when your child reaches the age of understanding that Christ died for their sins, and personally confesses Jesus as Savior and Lord.
The New Testament clearly commands that everyone who has made this decision should be baptized by immersion. This is referred to as the “believer’s baptism” and differs greatly from “infant baptism,” which is the parents’ decision to sprinkle their child with water. Love of Christ Church does not baptize infants but reserves water baptism as a declaration and celebration for those who have confessed Jesus as Savior and turned from their sins to follow Him.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN BABY DEDICATION?
- Church membership
- Parents must also believe the following:
- My child is a gift from God.
- God will hold me accountable for raising my child according to Biblical principles and cultivating an awareness of God’s love and salvation through Jesus Christ.
- I desire to dedicate my child to the Lord and His service.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE DEDICATION CEREMONY?
- Parents’ vows
During the dedication service, parents will be asked to make the following vows:
- Pray for my child daily.
- Instruct them faithfully in the teachings of the faith.
- Teach them to read God’s Word.
- Encourage them to pray and lead a life that pleases God.
- Take them to church regularly to worship the Lord and help them stay connected to the body of believers.
- Do all in my power to bring my child to the knowledge of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
“But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children — with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.” (Psalm 103:17-18)
When parents’ vows have been taken, the pastor will anoint the child with oil, dedicate them to God in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and pray for them. After each child has been dedicated, the pastor will close the ceremony by speaking a blessing upon all the children and their parents.
If you would like to be included in our next Baby Dedication Ceremony, fill out the form on our website or contact the church office.